It’s easy — just create a file with the extension . rb , navigate to that file’s directory from the command line, and run it using $ ruby filename. rb (the dollar sign is just the command prompt). You’ll be able to gets from and puts to the command line now!
How do I run a Ruby script from the command line?
Run a script
- Press Ctrl twice to invoke the Run Anything popup.
- Type the ruby script. rb command and press Enter . …
- (Optional) To run scratch files or scripts outside the project root, hold down the Alt key before running the command (in this case, the dialog title is changed to Run in Context).
How do I open a Ruby file in Terminal?
You can start it by typing irb in your shell and hitting enter. Its name is short for “Interactive Ruby Shell”, and yes, it is another kind of shell: Just like the shell running in your terminal irb is also a program that interactively waits for you to type something, and hit enter.
How do I run a Ruby file in Terminal windows?
Follow these steps:
- Open your Windows launch screen (or use the Start Menu).
- Click the Start Command Prompt with Ruby program. …
- Change your location to the Developer Kit folder. …
- Use Ruby to set up more Ruby tools. …
- Enter the install command and wait for it to complete:
How do I run a Ruby project?
Select a project root in the Project tool window and press Alt+Insert . In the invoked popup, select Ruby File/Class and press Enter . In the invoked popup, specify a script name (script in our case) and click OK.
How do I run a Ruby file in Terminal Mac?
Open your terminal and open folder where file is saved.
To execute your ruby file as script:
- start your program with #!/usr/bin/env ruby.
- run that script using ./your_program. rb param.
- If you are not able to execute this script check permissions for file.
How do I run Ruby interpreter?
Now, to run the program, simply enter the command ./test.
Whether you invoke the Ruby interpreter manually with the Ruby command or run the Ruby script directly is up to you. Functionally, they are the same thing.
How do I get the ruby console?
Open up IRB (which stands for Interactive Ruby).
- If you’re using macOS open up Terminal and type irb , then hit enter.
- If you’re using Linux, open up a shell and type irb and hit enter.
- If you’re using Windows, open Interactive Ruby from the Ruby section of your Start Menu.
Can Ruby on Rails run on Windows?
Ruby and rails can be installed on Windows using the WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) or using the Ruby Installer. Ruby can be set up in the same directory as the default directory for the bash shell so that its easier to navigate to in windows.
How do I run Ruby on Rails locally?
Go to your browser and open http://localhost:3000, you will see a basic Rails app running. You can also use the alias “s” to start the server: bin/rails s . The server can be run on a different port using the -p option. The default development environment can be changed using -e .
How do I run a Ruby project locally?
How to run an existing Ruby-on-Rails project locally after cloning a repository. The first thing to do is to find the Ruby version used in the Rails project. Then, install the ruby version, bundler gem, dependencies (packages). Finally, set up the database and run the Rails project.
What IDE should I use for Ruby?
Best Ruby IDE Tools in 2018
|RubyMine||Windows, Linux, macOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris||Proprietary|
|Aptana Studio||Windows, Linux, macOS, FreeBSD, JVM, Solaris||GPL|
|Selenium||Windows, Linux, macOS||Apache 2.0|